Most of the country, including all coastal areas, enjoys a so-called Mediterranean climate, almost identical to much of California. Summers are hot and dry with a 7-month period of near-constant sunshine generally from April until November.
Day 1 – CUSCO – OLLANTAYTAMBO – km104 – WIÑAYHUAYNA – SUN GATE – MACHU PICCHU
With a compacted 2 days of fun ahead of you, we pick you up from your hotel by 4:00 am and take you to the train station in Ollantaytambo to catch the early 6:10 am Expedition Train. The two-hour Expedition train ride to km104 (2100mts/6927ft) will take us to the trailhead of km104 where the trek will start from. Here we cruise past the first checkpoint where your passports and permits will be checked by the park rangers. (It is mandatory to have your original physical passport with you at this point otherwise entry to the park will not be granted)
After the check, we will start a moderate climb for three hours to the remote archaeological site of Wiñayhuana. (2650mts/8747ft). On the way, you will have a lot of opportunity for great photos of the spectacular Urubamba Canyon, and the ancient Inca sites found on this trek, as we make our connection into the traditional 4 day Inca Trail trek trail. After being at one with these beautiful sights, we continue onward towards the Sun Gate (2730mts/9007ft). Following the ancient footpath, we will come up to the first spectacular view of Machu Picchu in all its brilliance! As we move closer to the Citadel of Machu Picchu, you will feel more and more mesmerized from this stunning world heritage site. The group will have a short time to take some photos and we will be heading to the exit of the sight for our 25min bus ride to Aguas Calientes where you will spend a night in a Hotel.
- Meals: Box Lunch & Dinner.
- Accommodation: Inti Punku Machu Picchu or similar (Hotel Booked by TDI)
- Difficulty: Moderate
Day 2 – AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO
On the 2nd surway day, we will take the first bus to Machu Picchu archeological site to bit the crowds, making sure your tour is enjoyable and that you see every nook and cranny of this New 7th Wonder of the World and UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site. The Citadel of Machu Picchu is an unforgettable experience. Your guide will direct you through these magnificent ruins and its diverse main streets for 2.5 hours.
After the guided tour, you can explore the remainder of the citadel on your own and enjoy your time at this world’s spiritual center with it’s carved stairways made of stone. You should take your time and enjoy the pure delight of the moment. Additional hikes need to be booked 3 to 5 months in advance as these depend on availability! these hikes need to be paid for in advance at booking!
- If chosen in advance you can climb (Huayna Picchu ($75US per person)) or (Machu Picchu Mountain ($75US per person)) to appreciate the beauty and magnificence of Machu Picchu and the valleys below from a higher viewpoint.
- Other activities in Aguas Calientes include a visit to the local museum or to the hot springs on your own. (entrance fees required and time permitting)
After your visit, you will descend to Aguas Calientes have a leisurely lunch on your own, and later board the Expedition train which departs at 4:22 pm for the return trip to Cusco stopping at the Ollantaytambo train station where our driver will be waiting for you for your return trip to Cusco. You will be back in Cusco by 20:30 approximately depending on traffic.
End of Service
- Entrances to the archeological sites
- Professional English-speaking guide
- Expedition train from Ollantaytambo to KM 104 and from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- Bus tickets from Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu -Aguas Calientes.
- Meals as indicated on the itinerary
- Personal assistance.
- Hotels 3 Nights / Accommodation (double or matrimonial room)
- Machu Picchu Mountain / optional
- Huayna Picchu Mountain / optional
- Upgrade to Vistadome: $55USD per person (Return only Aguas Calientes to Poroy (Cusco) at 4:43pm)
- Tips for your guide